LAD/Blog #27: MLK Jr.'s "I Have A Dream" Speech

The passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1963 was a landmark act because it was enforced by the government. The act outlawed discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, or national origin. It also came in the throws of the Civil Rights Movement that rippled throughout the U.S.
One dream that MLK Jr. talked about that I liked was, "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character". Another dream that I liked was, "I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers". I think that these dreams are my favorite because they speak volume to who he was and I am also able to relate to them.

Both the Gettysburg address and the 'i have a dream" speech impacted the nation's mindset following the speech and impacted the lives of those who followed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAD/Blog #31: Schenck v. United States

LAD #39: Brown vs. Board of Education

LAD/Blog #34: FDR's First Inaugural